Wednesday, May 5, 2010

And...here comes baby!

Let me just say – I was getting very excited, nervous, and anxious for Marcus to make his arrival. Each Doctor’s appointment that came, meant I was closer to having to push him out! *ahh* Each day my opinion of the situation changed – some excited, some terrified, others somewhere in the middle. So, as my pregnancy progressed and labor approached, I was questioning every little change that was happening to my body…

The week before Marcus' due date (4/2/2010) I started having contractions, different than the Braxton Hicks that I had been experiencing since I was about 5 months pregnant. They were much ‘crampy-er’ than the tightening of the whole belly that comes with Braxton Hicks contractions. Over that week, I thought something was surely going to happen. I worked from home a couple days over the week, but went into the office on the other days. People stopped by my office regularly saying "You're still here!” And, each time that happened I wanted to scream, because no one wanted this baby out more than I did! If I did work from home, I got emails because they didn't see my office light on...But, I continued on...hoping and hoping he wanted to come out soon.

The actual week of his due date the contractions were still coming, a little stronger, and a little more regular each day (stronger in the evening). I only worked at the office twice that week, working from home the other days - again, certain something was going to happen! *What did I know though???* But, the week came and went, and still no Marcus...

I had now cleaned the house from the ceiling fans to the floors, and tried every trick in the book to get him out, other than castor oil, because that just sounded nasty - and I had thrown up enough during the first and early second trimesters of my pregnancy! And, as much as I wanted a drug free birthing experience, I was considering being induced the Friday after his due date (4/9).

Easter Sunday (which we had planned nothing for, since I was anticipating being in the hospital, since his due date was Good Friday) we decided to have Easter dinner at our house. My mom and I went to the grocery store and stocked up on all the essentials the night before, just in case we were home...so, we had the family over and I made dinner. Contractions were still steady, but 10-15 minutes apart...shortly after dinner we had an EARTHQUAKE! In ARIZONA, what!?! It had to be a sign, right?? ...wrong! I decided I'd just go to work on Monday, and continue on with my life *thinking nothing would change when he came out*; but Garrett, his parents, and my mother insisted if I chose to work I stayed home! Thinking my 30-45 minute commute was a bad idea just in case I did go in to labor, so I agreed *reluctantly* and I went to bed that night thinking soon enough I suppose...

Monday came, contractions were slow and steady...10-7-8-9-15 minutes apart, but still bearable. I was getting moodier, and moodier by the hour, or maybe minute. The phone calls and emails asking what was going on, had moved on from making me want to scream, to making me want to hit something. By Monday evening, I was all about being induced on Friday - thinking it was the only way he'd ever come out!!

Tuesday I worked from home again...contractions were much stronger than the day before, and I was certain something was going to happen. All day they were 5-7-10-15-30 minutes apart. Garrett went to school, then work...and by the late afternoon I was pretty sure this had to be it. I let Garrett's parents know, and they decided to come over and bring dinner because they didn't want to miss the birth of their grandson *they only live 20-30 minutes from the hospital, but they were just as excited/anxious as we were*. By the end of dinner, contractions were strong enough that I was no longer comfortable, and couldn't really talk through them. I text Garrett letting him know he should come home right after work (he often works late), because I was sure we had to go to the hospital tonight! Then I heard his phone buzzing from our office...of course. So, I called his work and spoke to who I think was his manager, which was quite funny! He knew we were expecting any day, so he first asked - are you ok? Followed by, how far apart are your contractions? Which were now 5 minutes or less... Then he seemed in a panic, letting me know that he'll have Garrett head home, and we should go straight to the hospital, because he saw on The Office that you should go when they are 5 minutes apart...I laughed and told him I was fine; but Garrett did head out shortly after our conversation. After all that, Garrett got home and ate, I showered, and we started to get our things into the car. Around 9pm I decided that I was uncomfortable enough (and contractions were 3-5 minutes apart) and we should probably get to the hospital. **I should probably let you know I did talk to my Doctor ahead of time and since I was planning a drug free delivery, and had no need for an IV or medications ahead of time, she did say I could stay home until I felt I should have some sort of medical attention.** Since I hadn't done this before, at that point, I thought we should go...

By 10pm I was admitted to Labor and Delivery at Banner Thunderbird Medical Center, and expected to be dilated to 5 or 6 when we got to the hospital, but at 10pm I was only 4cms! :( Shortly after, labor started to get REALLY uncomfortable, and downright PAINFUL! I found some comfort on the birthing ball (Yoga Ball), but later that was not the case, but the shower was my best friend for a while. Being able to get my muscles to relax between contractions became key! A couple hours later, nothing helped! I threw up dinner (not too bad, since I was so experienced from earlier in my pregnancy) and was certain I was going to die from the pain. I think it was around 2am, and only 7cms...I thought to myself - is it really a good idea to do this drug free?? How much longer?? Do I want to do this?? The answer by 3am was NO! I told Garrett and the nurse I wanted the epidural!!! They both questioned and questioned me since I really wanted a drug free birth. The nurse told me I had to have a bag of saline before they would get the anesthesiologist, so they gave me that and asked again if I was sure I wanted to do the epidural...I wasn't. I started to fear the needle/catheter **WHAT!?!** I asked the nurse how much longer she thought I would be, she kind of laughed and said she had no idea, but I was doing great, and if I wanted to – I could make it! I was just afraid I couldn't do it for another few hours...she checked me again, and I was about an only 8cms! What!?! It was about 5am and the pressure from the contractions was really strong, and making me feel like I had the urge to push and then my water FINALLY broke! It was such a relief, the pressure with the contractions, which were only about a minute apart if I was lucky, felt different and much more bearable (thought the pain was still terrible). She asked again if I wanted to talk to the anesthesiologist and I said no...I could do it *crazy moment*! I told her I felt like I had to push, she checked and I was 9! *YEAH 9 FINALLY!* I was just afraid at that point they were going to tell me not to push and I wouldn’t be able to control it...she went to get the doctor and I started to push just before 6am! I pushed and pushed and pushed - it was the most intense workout I had ever experienced!! I actually full-on sweat!! (For those of you that don't know, I'm really not a 'sweat-er'...I glow! ;)) And finally at 7:07am Marcus Victor Perea entered the world!!

It was the most amazing feeling, seeing his little face! I was so overwhelmed with excitement, joy and love like I had never experienced before! I couldn't take my eyes off of him!! Seeing him and Garrett made me so warm inside...we were a family!! The love I had for Garrett instantly grew exponentially! Speaking of Garrett - what an amazing husband!! And labor coach (maybe his football coaching experienced helped - haha)!! He said all the right things, encouraged me, supported me...I COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT HIM!! Both of our moms were there as well, and they were also very supportive, saying and doing anything to help me through the experience (except the one time my mom touched my leg at the wrong time, I could have killed her). I am really glad they were there and able to see the birth of their grandson!! I was also a little saddened almost instantly after his birth *weird I know*, but I could not help but think of my Daddy and how much I missed him, and how happy he would have been to have a grandson. I just have to think, and know, that him and my Nani were there and are able to see and love him from above...Anyway, seeing and holding him changed my mood just as instantly and all the joy in the world seemed to be in that room! Everyone in the room was sooo excited!! Seeing the look on Garrett's face, tears from Marcus’ grandmothers, even the doctor and nurse seemed genuinely happy for us...what an amazing job they have!!

If I knew what a joy having a baby would be, maybe I wouldn't have waited so long...ok, I probably would have anyway because of my crazy need to plan everything, but...I am constantly amazed that he came out of me and we made a PERSON!!

Pictures from the big day!




No comments:

Post a Comment