Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Faster, later, or last...

So, I know it's been a long while since my last update...  Apparently having an infant in your house makes you a lot busier than you used to be, and there is a lot less free time to do leisurely things, or even things that really do need to be done - like mop the floor.
Well, since our last update Marcus had his 2 *really 2 1/2* month doctors appointment, which included his 1st set of shots.  I absolutely dreaded this, since I hate shots myself.  His appointment started off well.  He had made it to the 75th percentile in his weight, and 85th percentile in his length - measuring in at 13.1lbs and 24 1/2 inches long.  His strength was still impressive, he reaches for things, and definitely follows sound, and of course his coos and smiles were adorable.  He is currently obsessed with his hands - eating, sucking, and just shoving them into his mouth as far as he possibly can...and with all of that he was perfect, doing everything he should be at his age and then a little too.  Then came the vaccines.  I know these can be controversial...but, I did my share of reading - and honestly, I still didn't really feel that I was informed enough to oppose what his pediatrician (who I trust) had to say, or the CDC, or other resources...  I hope, since I had all of mine, and I turned out ok, so will my baby.  And, I know that no matter what my decision, unless I chose to home-school, he'd have to have them anyway. *Now I just pray I made the right decision!*  Then came the needles!!  Then came the tears - first from him, then from me!!  He did pretty good though.  He definitely screamed for a few minutes, but after a bit of cuddling, we were ok.  He got some nifty Snoopy band-aids and we were off!!
From there, I dropped off Marcus at our house with Garrett's mom, who was there to pick up both Marcus and Garrett for the day (since Garrett had just got out of the hospital from having surgery to remove a rather large kidney stone) and she took both of them for the day, as I rushed to work to make it to a meeting.  I guess this is where I begin to tell you about my new passion - working-mom-extraordinaire! 
The first day I went back to work, I think I already told you - I cried, then gave myself a pep-talk about being the best working mom I can be... Well, for my own, and Marcus' sake, I've taken it to heart, and am always going to do everything I can to do my best at both of my full time jobs!  With this new passion, comes more to-do lists, more planning than I've ever had before.  It's like you've got this really important day that you've got to get ready for every day! 
So, most days start the night before with packing up and organizing what is needed for the next day - clothes *for me and sometimes him too* (check), pump and parts (check), computer (check), lunch (check - sometimes), etc.  Mornings are a bit of a struggle, with still having 1 or 2 night feedings, the 5am alarm is not always easy.  Sometimes there is the first thing in the morning feeding too, just depending on his schedule for that night - but sometimes daddy takes care of that one.  Then it's shower, get dressed, make-up, hair - sometimes, ok usually up, grab 'n' go breakfast, load up the car or beat the clock to be ready to meet the car pool.  Work is going really well, busy, and now I have to schedule 3 breaks for the day to pump *sometimes it turns in to only 2, but I try my best for 3 (usually depends on meetings, etc)*.  Then, pick up Marcus (on days Garrett works - most days), come home, attempt some chores, mostly entertain and feed Marcus until he is ready for bed between 7 and 9 usually, then figure out something for dinner (if it wasn't planned already) and cook, hopefully in time for Garrett to get home anytime between 7 and 10 depending on the day , manage to prep for the next day and Garrett and I do our best to spend some QT together - even if its just dinner and lounging on the couch watching TV, then it's off to bed only to start it all over again
The attempt some chores is where I struggle the most.  I HATE not getting to these things!!  Recently, I've made a deal with Jessica, Cameron's (Garrett's brother) girlfriend, where she'll come over one night a week (or once in a while) when Garrett is working late to give me a hand with Marcus, so I can do some laundry, dishes, vacuum, mop, or something of that nature.  It's really nice just to have an extra set of hands when Marcus doesn't feel like being occupied by something other than a person, especially since he recently decided he's really not a fan of the swing! Though he does really love his new Bumbo Chair (but, it has to be where you are).  Though I've learned to let go a little *it's a start*.  I was told by someone the other day, as long as I give everything a kiss and a promise, it'll be ok.  Sound advise, and I am doing my best to follow it - considering I'm updating the blog, while the floors need mopping.
These past 3 plus months have been amazing!  Our little man has grown and learned so much *and we have too*!  He seems to pick up a new trick, or trait, daily.  It amazes me every time he experiences something new; you can see his eyes just taking everything in.  He smiles, coos, and laughs at just about everything.  I especially enjoy when he wakes up in the middle of the night *though I'd love if he decided to sleep all night* and as soon as he sees you - he just lights up, with a big ol' smile, like he is just thrilled to see you!  All in all, this mom gig is going really well and I have no complaints *though I reserve this right*I've learned a lot - about myself, being a mom, my husband *He really has been the most amazing husband and father - doing all he can (busting his arse with school and work) to be the best he can be to both Marcus and I.* and our relationship.  I've learned most things as a mom are done faster, later, or last...and that it's all worth it *and then some* when I see Marcus' little face, and how happy a baby he is!

Below are some pictures of our experiences since my last post.

Enjoy,
Jackie
xoxo  




 


No comments:

Post a Comment